Skip to main content

VA Frequently Asked Questions

VA Representative, VA Certification Officer

[email protected], Director of Veteran/Military Student Services, 402.466.4774


Is my VA money sent to me or Doane?
It depends on the program. VA checks are sent directly to the student at the current mailing address on record or by direct deposit for chapters 30, 32, 35, 1606.  Direct deposit is available for all programs except Chapter 35. You can call toll free 1-877-838-2778 to sign up or change your direct deposit. The Post-9/11 Bill, Chapter 33, benefits will be sent directly to Doane. Education benefits are paid in arrears. Please remember that it is your responsibility to satisfy your financial obligation to Doane University.

How long does is take to receive my money?

The first time you complete the Application for VA Education Benefits it will take about 8-10 weeks for processing to be completed by the St. Louis Regional Processing Office.  At extremely busy times, such as the beginning of the fall term, processing may exceed 10 weeks. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility award letter from VA when processing has been completed. Please read and keep this document since it contains important information about your benefit (eligibility percentage) as well as instructions on how to self-verify your enrollment (if required).  A copy of this letter also needs to be given to your campus VA representative.

How often does Doane report my enrollment to the VA?

Doane submits an enrollment certification report to the VA each term/semester you are enrolled. These reports are done after census. Check the academic calendar to find the census date for the current term/semester.

After becoming eligible for benefits, do I have to do anything?

Chapters 30 and 1606 need to verify attendance each month via the WAVE system (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). Monthly payments are not dispersed until this is done.

I haven't received my money and I am concerned whom should I contact?

You may call VA's toll-free number 1-888-442-4551 or submit a secure e-mail through the VA Inquiry System at  You can select the "Ask a Question" link to set up an e-mail account. Your inquiries will be answered by a VA employee generally within 7-10 days.

How much time do I have to use my money?

This varies based on the education program for which you establish eligibility. Each education chapter is unique, and the entitlement-time period to use the benefit is established by law. There are fact sheets for each education chapter at the GI Bill website.

Can I receive Financial Aid and VA benefits?

Yes. See FA/VA Tip Sheet

Does DOANE Grant Credit for Military Training?

Doane students can transfer up to 90 hours of academic credit for formal instruction they have completed successfully in the military. Credit is awarded following the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE). Students should have their military transcript submitted to the Registrar’s Office for review.

I need a refresher/developmental/remedial course to be successful in school.  Will the VA cover it?


I received an F in a course.  Will the VA pay for me to retake it?

Yes, the VA will pay to retake a course once. If you are unsuccessful twice, the VA generally will not pay for a third repeat.

I received a D in a course.  Will the VA pay for me to retake it?

This answer will vary depending on the circumstances. It is best to check with your campus VA representative for details. Questions the VA campus rep will consider include if you need to raise your GPA to get to a 2.0 for graduation. Also if repeating the course is counted in your full-time load or if it is in addition to your full-time load. 

I am not doing well in a course and think I should withdraw from it.  Will this impact my VA? 

This depends on if withdrawing from the course impacts your academic load, changing your status for example from full-time to part-time.  If you do withdraw from a course and your load changes, you need to submit a statement explaining the circumstances. If you are having difficulty with a particular course, the VA does have a tutorial assistance supplemental benefit.

I am in the Reserves full-time and receive Tuition Assistance.  Am I eligible for VA benefits too?

Eligibility is established by the Department of Defense, not VA. Tuition assistance that is State-funded is not considered a duplication of benefit. Check with your National Guard Education Service Officer if you have questions.

I am in the Guard full-time, am I eligible for VA benefits?

Eligibility is established by the Department of Defense, not VA. Tuition assistance that is State-funded is not considered a duplication of benefit. Check with your National Guard Education Service Officer if you have questions.

I am Chapter 35 and know some students get a tuition waiver.  Am I eligible for that?

This is a State benefit established by a Nebraska statute. Tuition waivers are only available through public post-secondary institutions in Nebraska. This does not include Doane. For more information on tuition waivers call the Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs at 402-471-2458.  

I'm supposed to get a kicker, but I haven't yet? 

Kickers, or sign up incentives, are paid directly to the veteran/student.  Please contact your Education Services Officer for details.

How long will it take to graduate?

This will vary depending how many credit hours taken each semester and if you have transfer credit that can be applied. Doane University offers first-time students who enter the Crete Campus in the fall semester a four-year guarantee to complete one major. There is also the three-year guarantee for Crete students that outlines a course schedule and plan to graduate in 3 years. For more information, please consult with your advisor.

GI Bill® trademark and "GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)