Skip to main content

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant


$5,645 Maximum between Oct. 1, 2013 - Oct. 4, 2014


Grants are awarded based on financial need and do not need to be repaid.


An undergraduate student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.

Federal student aid grant is based on financial need and several other factors.  To determine your need level, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

  • Student must be ineligible for a Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required. 
  • Student must be under the age of 24. 
  • Student must have been enrolled at least half-time at the time of the parent or guardian's death.
  • U.S. Department of Defense must confirm.

Renewability & Repayment

2 full-time semesters or 4 full-time terms per academic year

Undergraduate students in the School of Graduate and Professional Studies receive federal grants for 4 full-time terms per academic year. Additional terms required to complete a degree are not covered under federal grants.  

Scholarship Process

Apply for the FAFSA.

All federal grants are credited to the student's account after census day. Generally, they are applied equally over each term of enrollment, depending upon enrollment status and eligibility. 

Grants are first applied to:

  • tuition
  • fees
  • room and board (if living on campus)

And then:

  • books
  • supplies

If a credit remains, the student may use the grant funds to pay for other educational expenses.