Tracy Corr

Tracy Corr

Assistant Professor of Practice

Phone Number: 402.826.8313
Department: Accounting
Email: [email protected]
Primary Campus: Crete
Credentials: BA, MPACC

Tracy Corr is Assistant Professor of Practice in the College of Business. She serves as Co-chair of the Accounting Department.  Tracy joined Doane University in 2021 and primarily teaches classes for the Accounting programs. She earned an M.P.A. (2002) from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Tracy returned to her alma mater after teaching accounting at other educational institutions. Before entering academia, she worked in the private sector in a variety of industries including financial services, manufacturing, and software development. Tracy is a member of the Institute of Management Accountants and is a member of the Lincoln/Lancaster County Planning Commission.

Education
M.P.A. (Accounting), University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2002
B.A. (Accounting), Doane College, 2000
A.A.S. (Accounting), Lincoln School of Commerce, 1994

Courses

• Financial Accounting (ACC 103)
  • Managerial Accounting (ACC 104)
  • Intermediate Accounting I (ACC 231)
  • Intermediate Accounting II (ACC 232)
  • Managerial Cost Accounting (ACC 335)

Professional Experience
SCC Lincoln Faculty Association President, Vice-President, 2012 - 2016
CEO's Advisory Team Member, SCC, 2013 - 2016
Enactus (Entrepreneurial Action Among Us) Advisory Board Member, 2014 - 2018

Teaching Experience
Doane University, 2021-present
Southeast Community College, 2004-2021
Nebraska Wesleyan University, 2013-2018
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2009
Kaplan University, 2001-2002, 2004-2005

Professional Accolades
Certified in VITA/TCE, 2014-2018
ACBSP Teaching Excellence Award nominee, SCC 2016

Professional Highlights

• Active community service member in the City of Lincoln/Lancaster county, holding various roles from police chief search committeecounty planning, and neighborhood associations, 2006 - Present
  • AICPA Accounting Program for Building the Profession Conference, 2018
  • AAA MAS/IMA Management Accounting Teaching Case Conference, 2017
  • Presenter, Service Learning and Enactus: Taking Community Service to the Next Level, TACTYC Conference, 2017
  • Invited Attendee, Prentice-Hall (Pearson) Business Digital Development Summit/Conference, 2015
  • Accompanied students to Haiti on a service-learning project, 2014
  • Taught business at Myotherapy Institute, a massage school, 2004-2006
  • Over a decade of accounting experience working across industries

How did you become interested in teaching?
Upon my return to Lincoln, after working in Denver, Colorado for a short-stint, I also returned to Doane University on the Lincoln campus to finish my bachelor's degree in Accounting. I had to delay my coursework and ultimately my graduation because there was not a professor to teach the final accounting classes I needed. This shortage of accounting instructors inspired me to pursue my Master's degree in Accounting at UNL so that I could teach at the collegiate level.

What is one of your favorite quotes?
"You give, you begin to live"" by Dave Matthews. I love quotes! I have collected many over the years, so it is very hard for me to pick just one. (I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to them!). This quote illustrates one of my core beliefs that it is very important to give back or contribute. For instance, when I purchased my first house, I realized that I needed to participate and give back to the community in which I lived. I joined the neighborhood association and volunteered to be the newsletter editor. That parlayed into many experiences that I am very grateful for and presented me with opportunities that I never even had on my radar. I encourage everyone to find an organization that fits in with their hobbies or passions and start making a difference!"

What is your teaching style?
I teach the "old-school way, pen-to-paper." I have found that students are more successful when learning accounting if they physically write out journal entries. There is something to be said about the way the brain works and how and where the neural connections are made. This is one of the main reasons that I do not require online software homework programs in my introductory-level accounting courses. Because I have worked in the accounting departments in a variety of industries, I am able to use many real-world examples in my day-to-day lectures and lessons. This enables students to connect with and learn the best accounting practices and materials. Also, I intentionally incorporate humor, encouragement, positivity, respect and inspiration in the classroom environment.